The Makita LS1016L 10-Inch Dual Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw replaces the Makita LS1013 which was an excellent saw when it was introduced so many years ago. The Makita LS1016L features a patented four steel rail sliding system coupled with six linear ball bearings through which the rails slide resulting in smooth, adjustment-free, “dead-on” accurate cuts. The ability to cut vertically nested 6-5/8 inch crown molding and 4-3/4 inch baseboard set vertically against the fence is made possible by Makita’s patented Retractable Rear Guard system.
The Makita LS1016L 10-Inch Compound Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw Features
- The Makita LS1016L will crosscut wide boards up to 12 inches wide at 90 degrees
- Cut Capacity of 4-3/4 inches baseboard vertically placed against fence.
- Will cut 6-5/8 inch molding vertically nested
- The saw miters 0° to 52° left and 0° to 60° right, with positive stops at 0°, 15°, 22.5°, 31.6°, and 45° (left and right).
- The dual rear-handle bevel lock is easily accessible with adjustments 0° to 45° (left and right), with positive stops at 0°, 22.5°, 33.9°, and 45° (left and right).
- 15 AMP 3200 rpm direct drive motor
- Soft Start
- Electronic Speed Control maintains constant speed under load for smooth, high quality cuts
- Makita LS1016L weight: 52 pounds
- Includes: Makita LS1016L 10-inch Dual Slide Compound Miter Saw, 60T TCT Saw Blade, Vertical Vise, Dust Bag, Triangular Rule and Wrench.
The Makita LS1016L 12-Inch Compound Dual Bevel Sliding Miter Saw Reviews
Quiet smooth and accurate are how this saw is described by some users. This saw was also praised for its portability as compared to the other back-busters when on the job-site. Many thought the included blade was the best they had received as a standard blade. Another user commented that the Makita LS1016L had the widest cross-cut capability of any 10 inch saw he previously used.
The ability of the Makita LS1016L to handle large moldings and baseboards make a big plus for this saw as some trim carpenters avoid lugging the 12 inch saws around the construction site.
Some users reported wobble in the blade after about 10 hours of use. If the saw is still covered by warranty and you have this issue return the saw for a refund as any replacement unit only carries a 90 day guarantee.
Some users reported that the fence was not square with the blade. Some were able to adjust the fence square by shimming while others returned the saw after adjustment was impossible.
In some cases the cap screw used to adjust the 0 degree bevel cannot get the adjustment correct as the saw was completely off tolerance. This requires that the saw be returned in my opinion.
Many users did not like the small poorly written and illustrated manual which had small, difficult to read text. Some users reported a bent blade on arrival but based on the shipping box condition the blade was likely damaged during shipping. The blade was easily replaced through the warranty.
The upper rails do not slide smoothly initially, Makita confirms this and according to them the rails become soother with use. This was confirmed by several users but a $500.00 saw should slide smoothly out of the box.
Overall thoughts on The Makita LS1016L 10-Inch Dual Bevel Compound Sliding Miter Saw
Although Makita is a leading brand, this saw has teething problems and it may be best to give the LS1016L time while Makita sorts out these problems. The four and five star ratings are equaled by the one, two and three star ratings and for a leading brand like Makita this is not good enough. You can take a chance on this saw if you want but it will be a hit or miss purchase according to the reviews. While I have always had positive results with other Makita sliding miter saws I cannot recommend the LS1016L as a buy right now.